Thursday, September 17, 2020

Legacy

September 17, 2020 – Debbie Graham
1 Kings 15:1-24; 2 Chronicles 13-16

Legacy

Focus Verses
1 Kings 15:3-4a “He committed all the sins his father had done before him; his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his forefather had been. Nevertheless…

Back and forth we go.  Good King; bad King.  Followed the Lord; did evil in the sight of the Lord. 

Not much is told about Abijah who succeeded his father Rehoboam, who was the first king of Judah, but we are told that in the three years he reigned, “he committed all the sins his father had done before him and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God.”  We read in 1 Kings 15, “there was war between Abijah and Jeroboam, and Abijah rested with his ancestors and was buried in the City of David” (vs.7-8).

Abijah “committed all the sins his father had done…”  I love that we read in the following verse, “Nevertheless, for David’s sake the Lord his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem by raising up a son to succeed him and by making Jerusalem strong” (vs.4).  For David’s sake… because of his grandfather David, God gave him success as king.  Something to be said about the faith or our fathers.

Asa followed the Lord and did what was right in His sight.  He banished all perverted people and removed all idols his father had made.  He even removed his own grandmother Maachah as Queen because she had made an obscene image for the worship of Asherah!  He cut down the image and burned it.  It is said of Asa in 1 Kings 15:14, “Nevertheless Asa’s heart was loyal to the Lord all his days.

Please do not let it be said of me that my heart was not fully devoted to the Lord like Abijah.  I want it said of me that, “she did what was right in the sight of the Lord” and “her heart was loyal to the Lord all her days” like Asa.  May the legacy I leave for my offspring be that of faith in the Lord and something that the Lord would be pleased with. 

How about you?  Are you following in the paths laid out for you by someone who did their own thing and did not submit to the Lord, or are you following in the path of what King David, a man after God’s own heart, patterned?  Are you removing all of the idols, everything that could draw you and your family away from our Lord, out of your lives?   What legacy are you leaving for generations to come?

Prayer

Lord God, please help me to always walk in Your ways and follow Your commands.  May I not get caught up in titles, things, or successes.  May my heart be fully devoted to You.  As David wrote in Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  Help me to leave a legacy for my children and my children’s children that speaks of You.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment