Friday, July 17, 2020

My Soul Longs~

July 17, 2020 
Psalm 43-45, 49, 84-85, 87

Focus Verses
Psalm 84:1-4 “How lovely is Your tabernacle, O Lord of hosts! My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young - even Your altars, O Lord of hosts, my King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in Your house; They will still be praising You. Selah

Have you ever gone through things in your life that don’t make sense, or are so out of control that you are just done with it all?  Given the last 5 months, I believe we all could say that we have been there!  Between the pandemic, social injustices, and political unrest, there have been many times that make me cry out to/for God as David did.  In the passages for today we hear David’s heart.  In Psalm 43 he asks for God to vindicate him, plead his cause, and send His light and truth to lead him.  He talks to himself, asking (and answering), “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God” (Psalm 43:5).

I go back and forth with my questions as David did (and answering myself at times too).  David asks When…?  Why…?  How long..?  “Why do You sleep O Lord? (44:23a).”  I ask when all of this will end.  How long will we have to endure this crazy mixed up time?  Will people ever see their need of You?

Like David, my whole being cries out to my only hope… the Lord.  “My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God” (Psalm 84:2).  I have said so many times in the recent weeks, come quickly, Lord Jesus!  While I say and mean it, I am also reminded of the words of Paul “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).  If I am still here, my work is not yet finished.

Do you know your purpose?  David knew his.  His purpose was to trust and praise God and share his trust with others through actions and singing.  I know my purpose.  I will sing joyfully to the God of my salvation and invite others to join me in proclaiming His greatness!  I will share the reason for my hope. “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you…” (1 Peter 3:15a).

While I echo the words of David in the passage below, I know that I must continue to walk in His ways and trust Him.  I would much rather be in the house of my God than dwell here with all of the wickedness.  Until that glorious day comes, I will trust in Him and give thanks and praise His Holy Name.  “For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man who trusts in You!” (Psalm 84:10-12)

Prayer
Father God, thank You for being my dwelling place.  Thank You for being my strength, and hope.  May I readily share You with others.  Help me to walk uprightly and trust You… and help me to trust You more.  I am truly blessed.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment